Interview

Friday, June 19, 2015

Ethical Dilemma - Mai Esther Dimte (HLD)

Three years ago, I was in Virginia, USA, working at a shelter for abused women and children as a shelter manager. The job seems pretty simple and easy; however, it has a lot to do with confidentiality and professional boundary. I worked so hard and kept myself updated with the latest information at the shelter and in town of course. Every day was a learning experience.
One day, I was told that one of our clients had to go home, but didn’t want to ask permission to leave the shelter. It was only because she won’t be able to come back without any domestic or sexual violence incident. She told the other clients in the shelter and asked them if they could talk to me on behalf of her. So one of the clients came and explained to me what happened. I simply thanked her and reminded her that I could not discuss with a third party. She went back and told the client. The client came to the office and told me all about what happened to her mother that day. Her mother was arrested for drug use and her little 7-year-old brother was left alone at home. She said that the neighbors watched him and if no one in the family came before a certain hour, the law enforcement would take him away. Not to mention, this client was abused by her step father and was afraid to go home to get her little brother. She didn’t seem to have any other choice. She didn’t know if her step father was around or not. She asked if I could give her permission to leave the shelter and of course I let her go. As a shelter manager, I was not supposed to give any clients permission to stay overnight; however, after hearing her incident report at home, I couldn’t remember what the rules of the shelter and the policies for the organization were. It was my honest mistake. I sat there and realized that I was doing what I was not ought to do. And so I called my supervisor and explained her all about it. I didn’t recognize that I had broken the confidential between me and the client by sharing her personal information. I also realized that I put her in danger where she was before. Moreover, I felt guilty and unfair to other clients since I broke the rule as I let one client go in and out. I also made them think they could go out anytime they want. We spent time re-educating the other women to reinforce what the rules of the shelter are.
I learned that I could have asked the client to talk to her neighbor in front of me to see if her step father was home, but I didn’t. I should not have told her that she could go home and come back in front of other clients. She could have been in a better place if I had transferred her to other agency, but I didn’t. One thing that I still feel regret is that I did not ask her if she really wanted to go home to get her half brother. She had the pressure on her by her neighbors and other clients who were there with her saying that she must take care of this 7 year old boy. Under the circumstance, she could not make any decision whatsoever, but I made a decision for her and sent her home. As a social worker, I could not make the same mistake twice. In our daily basis, it is very easy to use the power and the ability we have in order to force the client to make decision and to do the way we want them to. However, it is not a healthy way to resolve the problems for a good social worker to take an advantage of her/his power over the client. We must make decision carefully. We must think clearly before we handle the problem.
            When a difficult, new or overwhelming situation arises, my advice is to always seek supervision if the opportunity is present.  In this situation I could have told my client to wait 5 minutes for me to return with options.  We must always be aware that making a decision for a client violates social work ethics; however, I don’t think I should feel regret about this scenario.  She had pressure from every side and in crisis situations, people are forced to act promptly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment